Graduate Studies Click here for the Graduate Studies Home Page Click here for the UC Irvine Home Page Click here for the School of Medicine Home Page
Incoming UC Irvine medical students receive iPads at the White Coat ceremony on Aug. 6, 2010.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your minimum requirements for MS-BATS?

  • Complete the online application

  • 3.0 GPA minimum cumulative

  • 3 letters of professional reference 

  • transcripts from all undergraduate and post graduate institutions

  • Proof of degree


Applicants who completed their undergraduate/graduate/medical degree(s) outside of the United States must also submit TOEFL or IELTS scores unless the entire degree was completed in a country in which English is the dominant and primary language AND the language of instruction was English.

Note: GRE requirement is waived for Fall 2021


Do you accept photocopies of transcripts?

No.  All transcripts should be uploaded online.  If you are offered admission into MS-BATS, you will be instructed to have your original transcripts mailed to Graduate Division.


What are the minimum scores necessary for my GRE General Test and Subject Test? 

There are NO minimum GRE, MCAT or related scores that represent a ‘cut-off’ whereby an applicant would automatically be denied admission by the Admission Committee.   Also, the GRE scores of other applicants applying for the same enrollment date as you can vary from year to year.  Scores need to be competitive with others in your applicant cohort, but all scores are considered by the Admission Committee.  Application files are evaluated by our faculty with a holistic review and assessment approach.   

A GRE subject test is NOT required for application.  However, if you have a level of proficiency in a particular subject that you would like to demonstrate via GRE Subject Test(s), then your score will certainly be considered as part of your application file.


What if my GPA is below 3.0?

The University of California requires that applicants to our graduate degree program have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA upon completing their undergraduate degree. If a student subsequently completes graduate level work with a higher GPA, exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis.  Please e-mail Thuy Pham to describe your situation.


How should letters of recommendation be sent?

Letters of recommendation should be submitted online by your referee.  


May I submit more than 3 letters of recommendation?



May I use the letters of recommendation from my medical school application as part of the 3 required?

No. Letters of recommendation should be written specifically for the MS-BATS program.  If you would like to include general letters of recommendation or copies of those from your medical school application in addition to the 3 required, they may be added as supplemental information to your online application.


I am an international student.  Where may I find TOEFL and IELTS requirements?

TOEFL/IELTS minimum requirements are detailed at this site:


Does the MS-BATS program accept Duolingo or the at-home version of TOEFL/IELTS in lieu of in-person exams?

UCI does not accept Duolingo, however, the at-home version of TOEFL and IELTS Indicator tests are acceptable.


What is UCI’s School Code or Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE) number?

Number used to identify UCI in dealings with the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Postsecondary Education: 00131400


How can I learn more about graduate student financial support matters?

The UCI Graduate Division provides an excellent primer on Financing Your Graduate Education for those applicants new to graduate education or those just needing a refresher course.


I have been awarded a fellowship to support my enrollment at your institution in biomedical & translational science.  Should I list this fellowship somewhere on the application?

YES, an applicant should disclose any special financial arrangements they have made in preparation for their graduate studies here at UC Irvine; i.e., a non-UC Irvine fellowship/scholarship they have already been awarded or expecting to be awarded, their participation in any programs sponsored by their home country, or otherwise, that can provide all or part of the funds they will need to study and live here, any pre-arranged housing plans while living near UC Irvine or other matters related to your education tenure at UC Irvine.  Depending upon the nature of any support you may receive, you can describe it in your “Statement of Purpose” or your “Personal History” sections of the application.

What is the difference between “The Statement of Purpose” and “Personal History”?

The "Statement of Purpose" should focus on your academic and clinical research background and interests. Include names of mentors, institutions and specific research projects you’ve worked on and the length of time.  The "Personal History Statement" should focus on your personal background and is especially important for applicants applying for Diversity fellowships or financial aid.


In lieu of GREs, I will be submitting my MCAT scores.  However, the online application does not have a section for this.  How do I report my MCAT scores?

Leave the GRE section blank.  MCAT score reports should be uploaded in the Transcripts tab of your application.  Your MCAT report should clearly show your name and AAMC ID number.  

Note: The GRE requirement is waived for Fall 2021. 


I received my undergraduate degree from UC Irvine.  Do I still need to upload a transcript if I attended  UCI?

Yes.  The MS-BATS program cannot access student transcripts so we will need this to complete your application.


I am a medical student at UCI.  Do I need to upload a transcript of my records?

Yes.  The MS-BATS program cannot access student transcripts so we will need this to complete your application.


I’ve been accepted into the program, I completed my SIR form and I registered my UCI net ID but I still cannot access UCI systems such as housing.  What’s wrong?

Although you have completed your SIR form and activated your UCI net ID, you will not have access to many of the systems until you are officially admitted as a student.  This can be a lengthy process handled by the Graduate Division Admissions office.  Masters students typically are not formally admitted until July/August.  Until then, the only systems that will recognize your UCI net ID are the Registrar’s Office and Financial Aid.


Once I’m accepted into the program, am I guaranteed a spot for campus housing?

No.  Masters students are not guaranteed housing so we encourage new students to sign up as soon as possible.  There are many availabilities at Palo Verde, Verano Place, Vista del Campo, Vista del Norte and Puerto del Sol.  Additionally, off-campus housing is also available to UCI students.  Please see  and to apply online using your UCI net ID.  


I have been accepted into other UCI programs including MS-BATS but can’t decide which one to choose.  May I complete an SIR form for each program while I decide?

Yes, you may submit multiple SIR forms, but keep in mind that this will cause delays with admissions which will also delay housing requests and other UCI systems access.  It will also be your responsibility to follow up with Graduate Division to retract SIR forms for programs that you’ve decided not to accept.


I am an international student and need an I-20.  Where do I start?

After the MS-BATS program and Graduate Division offers you admission, the first step is to complete your Statement of Intent (SIR) form online and ensure that you have fulfilled your English language requirement.  You will then be sent a New Graduate Student Request form to complete which will require copies of your passport, visa, documentation of your financial support and other documentation depending on your specific situation.  This packet along with the required documents should be returned as soon as possible by e-mail to   Processing time may take several weeks.  Once the International Center mails the visa document, you would then apply for a visa in your home country.


I’ve graduate with a BA/BS degree. May I be considered for the accelerated program?

While the accelerated program was designed for faculty and 3rd year medical students, the MS-BATS program has accepted applicants with a BA /BS degree for the accelerated program.  To be considered applicants must show at least 2 full years of clinical research experience, have identified a mentor who has committed to working with them and either already be working on a research project or have IRB approval to start a research project immediately.  Applicants must also complete an interview with one of our senior faculty to determine eligibility.


Does the MS-BATS program offer financial aid?

The MS-BATS program does offer financial aid to those who qualify.  You must complete a FAFSA application or California DREAM application by the published deadline and contact the MS-BATS office at to inform us of your need. In addition, the MS-BATS program offers funding for scientific travel, poster presentations and research expenses.  


How much financial aid is given out to students?

Financial aid is determined by the amount of need per student and available funds which will vary year to year.  Funds for research and travel are announced during the academic year.  MS-BATS does not cover full tuition.